Oscar started as a junior leader when we opened our children’s class in the summer of 2022. As the club’s only active under eighteen black belt he was keen to be a part of developing our future young students. We had an interview with junior leader and 1st Dan Black Belt Oscar to find out a bit more about his training history, what he enjoys about kickboxing and how he wants to progress now he has achieved his black belt:
- How old are you? I am 13
- How long have you been kickboxing? 8 years
- What do you enjoy most about kickboxing? I enjoy the fitness and light contact sparring
- What is your favourite technique? Whipping roundhouse kick
- What made you want to become a junior leader in the children’s class and what do you enjoy most about helping? I enjoy helping other people and when I am helping the younger children it reminds me of when I was a similar age. I’d also like to one day be an instructor.
- What would you like to achieve in kickboxing? I always wanted to achieve my black belt. Now I have completed it, I would like to win more competitions and work towards achieving my 2nd dan.
- Why do you think others should join? Kickboxing is great for making new friends and keeping fit.
Sensei Lauren says ” I chose Oscar as a junior leader because of his dedication and determination that he showed particularly through lockdown and in the run up to his black belt. I thought this was a good quality for the younger children to see. Oscar won the MK Open in November 2022. He regularly attends training sessions with WAKO GB therefore has a lot of experience to share with the club.”